National Informatics Centre
District Centre Amravati
Moiz Hussain Hussain Ali, Scientist – G & DDG
State Informatics Officer, Maharashtra
Arun Ranvir, Scientist – D
Manish Fulzele , Scientist – B
We live in the age of the Information Technology (IT) revolution. The universal acceptance of the power of IT to transform and accelerate the development process, especially in developing economies is indisputable. The rapid advance of Communication technologies, especially the Internet, has enabled governments all over the world to reach out to their most remote constituencies to improve the lives of their most underprivileged citizens.
NIC, under the Department of Information Technology of the Government of India, is a premier Science and Technology organization, at the forefront of the active promotion and implementation of Information and Communication Technology (ICT) solutions in the government. NIC has spearheaded the e-Governance drive in the country for the last three decades building a strong foundation for better and more transparent governance and assisting the governments endeavor to reach the unreached.
The mid-1970s, in India, were watershed years, heralding a revolutionary transformation in governance. In the year 1975, the Government of India envisioned that the strategic use of Information Technology (IT) in government would lead to more transparent and efficacious governance which could give a fillip to all-round development. In 1976, in the wake of this recognition of the potency of IT, the Government visualized a project of enduring importance viz. the "National Informatics Centre (NIC)". Subsequently, with the financial assistance of the United Nations Development Program (UNDP) amounting to US $4.4 million, NIC was set up.
- NIC has leveraged ICT to provide a robust communication backbone and effective support for e-Governance to the Central Government, State Governments, UT Administrations, Districts and other Government bodies. It offers a wide range of ICT services. This includes NICNET, a Nationwide Communication Network with gateway nodes at about 53 departments of the Government of India, 35 State/UT Secretariats and 603 District collectorates to service ICT applications. NICNET has played a pivotal role in decentralized planning, improvement in Government services, wider transparency of national and local Governments and improving their accountability to the people. NIC assists in implementing ICT projects, in close collaboration with Central and State Governments and endeavors to ensure that state-of the-art technology is available to its users in all areas of ICT.
The milestones in NICs ICT based endeavors, over the years, have worked to fulfill the expectations with which it was established, as may be seen below.
- Central Government Informatics Development Programme a strategic decision to overcome Digital Divide in Central Government Departments during the Fifth Plan Period (i.e. 1972-77);
- NICNET - A first of its kind in developing countries, using state-of-the-art VSAT technology. Gateway for Internet/Intranet Access and Resources Sharing in Central Government Ministries and Departments during 1980s and 1990s;
- IT in Social Applications and Public Administration;
- State Government Informatics Development Programme a strategic decision to overcome Digital Divide in Central and State Governments/UT Administrations, during the Seventh Plan Period (i.e. 1985-1990);
- DISNIC A NICNET based District Government Informatics Programme a strategic decision in 1985 to overcome the Digital Divide in the District Administrations;
- Reaching out into India during 1985-90, even before the arrival of Internet Technology, to all the districts of the country, which is a land of diversity and different types of terrain, various Agro-climatic conditions, different levels of socio-economic conditions, and varied levels of regional development etc.
- Video-Conferencing operations first commenced in the early 90s and now connect 490 locations
- National Informatics Centre Services Inc. (NICSI) was set up in 1995, as a section 25 Company under National Informatics Centre. NICSI is preferred by government departments for outsourcing the entire range of IT solutions and services.
- India Image Portal is a gateway to the Indian government information with a mission to extend comprehensive WWW services to Government Ministries and Departments Under this project, over 5000 Government of India websites are being hosted.
- A significant outcome of India Image Portal, which came about in the early years of the millennium, is the GOI Directory, a first of its kind comprehensive directory providing information about websites of the Indian government at all levels.
- Also, in late 2005, all the services and websites in India Image Portal were brought under one interface to provide single- window access to citizens. This is the National Portal accessible at http://india.gov.in .
- Integrated Network Operations Centre (I-NOC) was established in 2002 for round the clock monitoring of all the WAN links across the country.
- NIC Data Centre, established in 2002, hosts over 5000 websites & portals. Data Centres which have been established at State capitals for their local storage needs, have storage capacity from 2-10 Tera Bytes.
- NIC has been licensed to function as Certifying Authority (CA) in the G2G domain and CA services commenced in 2002.
- NIC set up the Right to Information Portal in order to provide support to the Government for speedy and effective implementation of the Right to Information Act 2005.
- Over the years NIC has extended the satellite based Wide Area Network to more than 3000 nodes and well over 60,000 nodes of Local Area Networks in all the Central Government offices and State Government Secretariats.
As a major step in ushering in e-Governance, NIC implements the following minimum agenda as announced by the Central Government:
- Internet/Intranet Infrastructure (PCs, Office Productivity Tools, Portals on Business of Allocation and Office Procedures)
- IT empowerment of officers/officials through Training
- IT enabled Services including G2G, G2B, G2C, G2E portals
- IT Plans for Sectoral Development
- Business Process Re-engineering
NIC provides a rich and varied range of ICT services delineated below.
Profile of Current Services:
- Digital Archiving and Management
- Digital Library
- Geographical Information System
- IT Training for Government Employees
- Network Services (Internet, Intranet)
- Video Conferencing
- Web Services
- General Informatics Services
- Medical Informatics
- Bibliographic Services
- Intellectual Property and Know-How Informatics Services
- Setting up of Data Centres
- Building Gigabit Backbone
- IT Consultancy Services
- Turnkey IT Solutions
Thus, NIC, a small program started by the external stimulus of an UNDP project, in the early 1970s, became fully functional in 1977 and since then has grown with tremendous momentum to become one of India's major S&T; organizations promoting informatics led development. This has helped to usher in the required transformation in government to ably meet the challenges of the new millennium
A district unit of N.I.C. has been set up at Amravati Collectorate in the year 1989. The N.I.C. unit is equipped with two High End servers, Clients with recent and upgraded technologies, OFC Leased Line with STM1, Router, high performance printers, document scanner and etc.
2 MBPS LL connectivity is available for Internet (Work for upgrading to 32 MBPS is undergoing), which is used by various government departments via STM1.
The major responsibilities of the center include:
* Finding out possible areas where computer could be introduced as decision-making tool
*.Introduction of computers to the identified areas by way of designing, developing and implementing computer based systems.
* Training on concerned personnel of the concerned departments so that a proper understanding of the background and the process of the system implementation could be given.
* Besides providing software to Government departments, N.I.C. also supports the departments in terms of purchasing computer hardware facilities.
Project Affected Information System: This Software is for maintaining the details of project affected peoples in district Such as Persons Name, address, qualifications, project name and category etc. and generates varies reports useful for the district Administration. It is also useful for the recruitment of the project affected persons in varies departments of Amravati district.
(Sh. Moiz Hussain Ali, SIO interacting with the Collectorate staff while data entry in PAIS)
Geo-Graphical Information System of Amravati District - This GIS is developed to maintain the Geo-Graphical Information of Amravati District and all Fourteen Tahsils. This S/W accept Census data such as Tahsil, Villages, Population, area, literacy rate, rainfall, Family, Farmer, Farm labour, SC,ST etc. and display information in the form of Maps as well as text.
Clerk Recruitment Information System The MIS is for the recruitment process of Clerk that accept details of Candidate such as Name, address, qualifications, category, percentage of marks, written exam and oral exam marks etc. and generates varies reports useful for the recruitment for the post of Clerk. This system was implemented in other districts for their recruitment process.
Counting Staff Randomization - It was used for the selection and deployment of counting supervisors, assistants and Static observers randomly for the counting of votes for the Amravati Parliamentary Constituency. It involves Collection of data for the counting supervisor, assistant and Static observers from different State and Central government Departments, Randomization in presence of Returning Officer, Observers, Generation and issue of Orders for allotments of assembly constituencies and Tables.
VNSS Mission Web Portal - Objective of Vasantrao Nail Satkari Swavalamban Mission portal (http://vnss-mission.gov.in) is to provide information of varies schemes that is implemented by the government to farmers and thereby solve the problem of farmer-suicide in seven districts of Vidhabha. It provides information of implementation of Prime Ministers and Chief Ministers package in the Farmer suicide affected region, GRs, varies reports, etc. Hon. High court and Government of Maharashtra are constantly monitoring VNSS site. Fortnightly updating of information is done through VPN.
Amravati District Web Portal - Official District Web Site http://amravati.gov.in provides detail information of history, geography, ambadevi, chikaldara, great personalities, offices etc of Amravati District to the citizens. Some new Information updated in 2010 are Amravati District BPL List, Information of PM and CM package, List of Beneficiaries under Packages, List of Beneficiaries of Agricultural department, Waiting List of Indira Awas Yojana and District Information w.r.t. RTI 2005.
Godown Monitoring System - Food and supply branch use this software for monitoring the verity of grain status, accounting of the grain and requirement of grain in different scheme in the godowns. This s/w helps them for the consolidate reporting to the higher office.
Rashtriya Swastha Bima Yojana (RSBY) - Rashtriya Swashtha Bima Yojana (RSBY) is introduced by Ministry of Labour and Employment, Government of India to provide Health Insurance to the BPL families. In first phase RSBY is being implemented in Amravati along with other seven Districts of Maharashtra. The operation of the system involves three stages enrollment, hospital transactions and monitoring. In Amravati district total no of 72537 families are Registred and Smart cards are distributed and 7688 BPL families are benefited of the RSBY scheme.
BRGF-Planplus - BRGF Scheme is being implemented in Amravati District for the development of District. Planplus is used for decentralized planning and preparation of District plan. As a part of the Planplus Implementation conducted three Workshops for the Officers and staff of DRDA, Panchyat Samities, DPO and Municipal councils. Village level plans are being prepared with technical support of NIC.
Election Commission of india - Communication Plan of all the polling stations across the country has been prepared to enable election observers and authorities of Election Commission of India for contacting to polling personnel directly at Polling Station for any exigency. The communication plan report prepared through the application helped in great extent to the election machinery at different level for getting field reports about the election arrangements and first information report about any incident at polling booth level. Similarly support for counting, polling personnel randomization and posting, EVM Randomization and allocation, GENESYS for result declaration.
e-Post - epost is a service under which printed or even handwritten messages of customers are scanned and transmitted as email through internet. At the destination offices, these messages are printed, enveloped and delivered through postmen like other letters at the postal addresses. For this purpose, epost centres have been set up in the Post Offices, covering all the districts and major towns. These epost centres are equipped with internet connection, computers, printers and other necessary equipment. Besides availing epost service through Post Offices, it can also be accessed from customer's home or office if he has a computer and internet access. The epost portal http://www.indiapost.nic.in
Common Integrated Police Application - CIPA is being used by the police department for Registration, Investigation and Prosecution. This system is being implemented in all nine police stations of Amravati Commissionorate. A Workshop is conducted at Commissioner of Police Office, Amravati for all the officers and Police Constables in Co-Ordination with SCRB Pune. About Seventy five officers and Police Constables were participated in three days workshop.
National Social Assistant Program -
The users at different level will be able to maintain Pensioner Details, estimate budget for pension, allocate funds for disbursement of pension, maintain pension disbursement details, capture verification information of pensioners and generate reports as per the role assigned to them. The objective of the system is to ensure that the Old Age Pension is received by all the beneficiaries. The Allocation of Funds and its utilization by the states is available on the web site.
The web based application will facilitate the Ministry of Rural Development (MoRD) to closely monitor the utilization of funds allocated for NSAP.
National Rural Employment Guarantee Act - National Employment Guarantee scheme for the poor being implementing effectively in all tahsil of Amravati District. Labour Registrations, job cards, work demand, Works details, allocation of works, muster and fund received being entered online through tahsil and CSC centers. Almost all works in this scheme are in melghat, tribal region of Amravati district.
Land Record Computerization - It is a Government of India Project for Computerization of Village Forms VII-XII and Property Card. Main aim of this project is to issue Computerized Record of Rights to the citizen of this district. ROR being made available to the citizen .This project is implemented effectively in all tahsils of Amravati District.
Panchayat Raj Portal - The objective of National PanchayatRaj portal is to provide information of District/Block/Village Panchayat level.to citizen. http://Panchayat.gov.in/Panchayatmah .
CONFONET - ICT infrastructure is set-up to provide: (i) E- Governance, (ii) Efficiency, (iii) Transparency, (iv) Systematizing of working (http://confonet.nic.in). To achieve time bound delivery of justice to the consumers. Deliverables: Case Monitoring Software, Software installation and making operational, Training for both trainers and end-users, Hardware Supply and Installation at Consumer Sites, Network installation and operation.
VAHAN - VAHAN is an application software developed for registration of Commercial and Non-Commercial vehicles at Regional Transport Offices.
SARTHI - Sarathi is a centralized s/w used to issue Learning License, Permanent Driving License, Conductor License and also a Driving School License to the applicant.
MAHAFOOD - MAHAFOOD is a workflow application which automates the various stages of movement of food grains. This application keeps track of the monthly allotment of essential commodities under various schemes from Centre to State and similarly from State to Districts and also monitors the Lifting, Offtake and Distribution of the commodities from the Districts.
Also many other software implemented .
* BDS * Sevarth * MPLADS * CODISS * Rural Soft * Sanitations
* DCR * PMGSY * Agmarknet * Mahasim
ICT support to various dpartments
* Divisional Commissioner of Revenue * Commissioner of Police * Collectorate
* Zilla Parishad * Superintendent of Police * District Court * Treasury
* DHO * APMC * Employment * Agriculture Dept. * RTO