Daryapur with a population of 15,182 persons according to the
1961 Census, is the headquarters of the tahsil of the same name
It is situated on the Candrabhaga river and is 29 km. (eighteen
miles) distant from Murtizapur by road. It is also connected with Amravati, the district headquarters by a good road. Within a kilometre (half a mile) of it lies the large trading suburb of Banosa with a population of 3,492 and close by is the village of Babhali with 3,383 inhabitants. Daryapiir is a centre of cotton trade and there are two gins and two presses. In the year 1961-62 the revenue accrued from the cotton market was Rs. 4,347.50 Its weekly bazar yields a cess income of Rs. 5,625. The public buildings include the tahsildar's office, a judge's court, a police-station, a sub-registry, a municipal office, a P. W. D.'s office a Block Development office, a post-office and the central co-operative bank. The educational institutions include an Arts and Commerce College, three high schools one being exclusively for girls, two middle schools, one each for boys and girls, and five Marathi primary schools and an equal number of Urdu primary schools. At a short distance from the town, on the Murtizapur road a hall has been erected which contains a library and a balak mandir. The town derives its name from Darya Imad Sah, the third of the independent Kings of Berar (A.D. 1526-1560) who was us founder.
The town has temples dedicated to Rama and Vitthal.
There are also two mosques. The Rama mandir is one of the oldest temples of the town with a spacious mandap. The gabhara contains the idols of Rama, Laksmana and Sita exquisitely carved out of marble stone. A sikhar with a gold plated spire crowns the gabhard.
The shrine of Vitthala Rakhumai has a sabhamandap support- ed on twenty pillars decorated with beautiful carvings. The door of the gabhara is plated with brass sheets. Besides the main idols of Vitthala and Rakhumai, idols of many other deities like Hanuman, Ganapati and Krsna could also be seen.
Daryapur municipality was constituted in 1937 and has at present an area of 2.59 km.2 (one square mile) under its jurisdiction. The President is elected by the members from amongst: themselves. It is he who looks after the municipal administration with the assistance of the necessary staff.
In the year 1962-63 municipal income amounted to Rs. 7,62,646.
As against this it had to spend a sum of Rs. 5,53,302, during the year under report.
Health and Sanitation.
There is a veterinary dispensary under the management of the municipality. The town has only kutcha drains. Water supply is obtained from the river and wells but the town would receive tap water on completion of the Daryapur water-works now under construction. It is estimated to cost Rs. 8,53,616. It is financed by Government.
Primary education is compulsory in the town. It is under the
management of the town municipality. The net expenditure
incurred in this behalf in 1962-63 amounted to Rs. 85,538. During the same year 1,465 pupils were receiving primary education
under the guidance of 60 teachers.
Within the municipal limits the length of the roads is 4.82 km.
(three miles) only. All the roads are unmetalled.
Cremation and Burial Places,
Cremation and burial grounds are maintained and used by the communities concerned.