MAHARASHTRA STATE TRANSPORT CORPORATION
The process of Nationalisation of Passenger Transport Services in Amravati District was started in 1946 when the then Bombay Government took over from the Central Provinces Transport Services and finally purchased and renamed it in 1955 as the Provincial Transport Services. After the reorganisation of States in November 1956, the operations were looked after by a separate department under' the erstwhile Government of Bombay called the " Transferred Road Transport Undertakings Department". With effect from July 1, 1961, the department was abolished and the Provincial Transport Services, Nagpur, along with the State Transport Services in the Marathwada Region, were amalgamated with the Maharashtra State Road Transport Corporation. The State Transport in Amravati district forms a part of the Nagpur Division of the Maharashtra State Road Transport Corporation.
The officer in charge of Nagpur Division is designated as the Officer on Special Duty and is a Class I Officer. He is under the immediate control of the Central Office of which the General Manager is the administrative head. He is assisted by the following departments, viz., (1) Administration, (2) Traffic, (3) Mechanical Engineering, (4) Accounts and Audit, (5) Statistics, (6) Security, (7) Stores, (8) Civil Engineering, (9) Secretarial, (10) Legal and (11) Central Workshop.
As the head of the division, he is responsible for the State Transport Operations in Nagpur Division and is assisted by 11 Class II Officers who are charged with the following functional responsibilities.
The Divisional Traffic Officer is in charge of all matters
relating to traffic and operation and the Labour Officer looks
after all matters relating to labourers' relation with the adminis-
tration. Matters relating to publicity in the division are also
looked after by the Labour Officer.
The Divisional Accounts Officer and the Divisional Statisti-cian look after the work in connection with Accounts and Statistics. The technical side of the division is looked after by the Divisional Mechanical Engineer. In addition, there are as many Depot Managers as there are depots who are wholly responsible for the working of the respective depots in the division.
The operations in the Amravati district were first started on
the Nagpur-Amravati route. A depot was established at Amravati in January 1957 with 24 vehicles. By the end of December 1962, the Amravati depot had 40 vehicles operating on 12 routes. The Nagpur Division, of which Amravati district forms a part had 327 buses plying on 141 routes. The average daily mileage operated by these buses during December 1962 was 29,991. They carried on an average, 63,684 passengers per day.
The light and heavy repairs of the buses are carried out at
the Divisional Workshop situated at Nagpur. After the operation of every 12,000 miles, the vehicles are routed by the depots to the Divisional Workshop for preventive maintenance. In addition, a number of depot workshops are situated at each of the following places for the daily maintenance of vehicles, viz., Yeotmal (49), Nagpur City (47), Nagpur-Wardha (46), Amravati (40), Nagpur-Amravati (34), Nagpur-Bhandara (32) and Talegaon (14). The number of vehicles attached to each of these depots are given in brackets. Regular daily and weekly servicing, weekly and 4,000 mile docking for maintenance are carried out in these depots.
For the convenience of the travelling public, the Corporation has provided temporary bus stations at Amravati and Achalpur.