BANKING TRADE AND COMMERCE
At the time of the publication of the old District Gazetteer (1911), the Bombay-Nagpur-Howrah line of the Great Indian Peninsula Railway which entered the district on the southwest and left ir on the south-east, formed the backbone of the system of communications in Berar and in this district. This line was opened for traffic in 1866.
The Bombay-Nagpur-Howrah line has a run of 72.420 km. (45 miles) through the district and has at present nine stations in this stretch viz. Kurum, Takli, Badnera, Timtala, Malkhed. Chandur, Depore, Dhamangaon and Talni. Of these, Badnera, Chandur and Dhamangaon are important places where there is considerable goods traffic.
The Amravati-Badnera branch line with a run of about 9.956 km. (6 miles) was opened in 1871. It is a single line and has traffic in cotton during the season.
Two more railway lines were subsequently opened. The
Murtizapur-Achalpur narrow gauge line was opened in 1912-13.
It has a run of 4.024 km. (2½ miles) in the district, the important stations on the line being Daryapur and Anjangaon.
The Purna-Akola-Khandwa meter gauge line serves the Melghat
forest area. It was opened in January 1961 and it has a run of
5.632 km. (3½ miles) through Amravati district.
The system of rail communications is supplemented by the road-ways that criss-cross the district. The Bombay-Dhulia-Bhusawal-Nagpur-Calcutta National Highway passes through Badnera, Amravati and Nandgaon. The Burhanpur-Amravati-Chanda State Highway runs through the forest area of the district and connects Dharni, Achalpur and Amravati. The Amravati-Multai State Highway runs through Morshi and Warud. Besides, the Akola-Akot-Betul State Highway, the Multai-Wardha Road and the Amravati-Chandur (Railway) Road connect various trade places. A number of arterial roads provide for internal communication and goods and passenger traffic. The district has thus a road system connecting most of the important towns and centres of trade in the district.