Dabheri.-A small village of 265 inhabitants, not far from Ridhpur in the Morsi taluk; its chief claim to mention being its tank, a stretch of water covering nearly 90 acres on which excellent duck shooting may be obtained in the season. Situated beside the tank is a temple of Dabheshwar held in reverence by the Manbhaos. A member of the sect making the pilgrimage to Ridhpur is supposed to visit Dabheri also; and a fair held on Chaitra Paurnima is attended by about fifteen hundred people. At Akhatwada, a small village close by, is a similar temple of Rokdeshwar: which is also a Manbhao shrine.
Daryapur Taluk.-The western taluk of the Amraoti
District, lying between 20°49' and
21°20' N. and 77°11' and 77°38' E.
with an area 505 square miles or 10.6 per cent, of that of the
District. Daryapur was formerly a taluk of the Ellichpur
District but was with the rest of that District incorporated in
Amraoti in August 1905. The taluk contains 273 villages
including one town, of which 266 are khalsa, 6 palampat, and
1jagir. It lies in the fertile Payanghat valley, being
bounded on the west and the south by the Akot, Akola and
Murtizapur taluks of Akola District, on the east by the
Amraoti taluk, and on the north partly by the extensive jungles
of the Melghat taluk and partly by the Ellichpur taluk. From
the Melghat border to the Purna river north to south Daryapur
is some 28 miles. Its greatest breadth from west to east is 26
miles but this diminishes both northward and southward,
especially in the former direction where the breadth of the
taluk on the Melghat boundary is only some 10 miles.
Daryapur presents to the eye an almost perfectly level
plain with only a slight inclination towards the south
unbroken by hills. In consequence of the very gentle
fall southwards in the direction of the Purna river
the soil is able to retain the monsoon showers for a longer
time than if the surface had been more undulating or the
slope greater, and the effect is an increased amount of fertility.
Some parts of the taluk contain large mango groves,
and there are several valuable babulbans. The Purna,
Chandrabhaga, Shahnur and Bordi rivers flow from north to
south. The supply in the first named is perennial, and in the
others there is flowing water until late in the hot weather,
large pools remaining till the break of the rains. These
streams are of great importance to the taluk, for the wells
are generally very brackish, and river water is accordingly
preferred by the inhabitants for drinking purposes. They are
of little use agriculturally except in the capacity of channels
for draining the land. This important office is fulfilled by
them most effectually for no stagnant water or marshes are to
be found anywhere, notwithstanding the almost dead level of
the country. Except in the immediate proximity of the
larger rivers where the surface soil is much cut up and is
mixed with gravel and otherwise impoverished by the yearly
monsoon floods, the soils of the taluk are of a very superior
quality. They are somewhat friable yet very retentive of
moisture, and are capable of producing rich crops for a
succession of years without any artificial assistance.
The population of the taluk in 1901 was 114,698 persons,
or 14 per cent, of that of the District.
In 1891 the population was 122,552 and in 1881, 123,109. During the two decades between 1881 and 1901 there was a decrease in the population; in the first decade it was nearly ½ per cent., and in the second decade when there was a general decrease in all the taluks it was nearly 6½ per cent, as against nearly 5 for the District as a whole. This decrease is the largest of all the taluks in the District except the Melghat, which shows a falling-off of about 22 per cent. Bad seasons and the two famines together with immigration to less fully cultivated places account sufficiently for this decrease. The density of population is 227 persons per square mile, as against 170 for the District as a whole. The density of rural population is 21.0 per square mile, the highest figure of all the taluks in the District. Of
the land available for cultivation only 12 acres remain
uncropped, and the limit of extensive cultivation has been
practically reached. There are very few important landholders,
holdings of one or two acres being the general rule, while
even smaller ones are common. The taluk contains one town
(Anjangaon) and 272 villages of which 22 are uninhabited [ See note on p. 353.]
according to village lists. About 8 per cent, of the population
live in the town and 98 per cent, live in villages. Besides
the one town the taluk contained the following 8 villages
which had more than 2,000 persons in 1901:-Kapustalni,
Chendkapur, Daryapur, Babhali, Yeoda, Wadner, Sategaon
and Peth Muhammadnagar, better known as Surji, the last a
suburb of Anjangaon, There were also 15 villages whose
population exceeds 1,000 persons.
The crops found here are cotton, juari, wheat, linseed, tur
and the betel creeper. This latter crop is grown successfully in the villages of
Anjangaon, Aiwajpur and Shahpur, and the betel leaves of these places have some local reputation. By far the most important crops are the cotton and juari. At the former settlement juari occupied 38 per cent, of the cultivated land, cotton 31 per cent, wheat 14 per cent., linseed 4 per cent., and gram and tur each 3 per cent. At revision settlement (1892-96) the Government occupied land was 285,414 acres according to revision survey. Of this cotton occupied 112,519 acres or 40.2 per cent, showing an increase of 8 per cent, since former settlement, juari occupied 75,075 acres or 26.2 per cent, showing a decrease of about 12 per cent. Thus a large proportion of the area under juari cultivation had given way to that of the far more remunerative cotton crop; 42,724 acres or about 15 per cent, of the cultivated area were devoted to wheat, practically the same as that at former settlement, while the area under linseed had doubled, being about 10 per cent. The area under all other crops together was no more than 9.8 per cent. of the total. In 1906-07 of the 320,112 acres of village area (excluding the area under State forests but including that of palampat villages,) 303,251 acres or about 94
per cent, were occupied for cultivation. Of this the total
cropped area was 296,535 acres, the double-cropped area
included in it being only 10 acres. The area under cotton
has much increased since revision settlement, and in 1906-07
it occupied 161,074 acres or more than 54 per cent, of the
total. The area under juari has fallen to 73,731 acres being
about 25 per cent., while wheat covers an area of 31,948 acres
or about 11 per cent., and linseed 6,144 acres or 2 per cent, of
the cropped area. The area irrigated is insignificant, being
only 585 acres.
The 266 khalsa villages of the taluk were at the original
settlement divided into three groups and
settled as follows:-group I. consisting
of 99 villages with a maximum dry crop standard acreage rate of Rs. 2-4;group II. of 135 villages with a rate of Rs. 2; and group III. 32 villages with a rate of R. 1-12-0. The average rate per acre cultivated, however, varied from R. 1 to R. 1-7-3. The first group comprises the large bazar towns and the villages adjoining them as well as villages lying in a peculiarly fertile tract of land, the second small bazar towns, the villages adjoining them and all villages within a convenient distance of the large bazar towns, and the third a few villages which are either inconveniently far from the bazars or are badly supplied with water. At the revison settlement all these villages without exception were included in one group and a maximum dry crop standard acreage rate of Rs. 2-10 was proposed, but the rate subsequently sanctioned by the Government of India was Rs. 2-12-0 for the whole taluk. The demand at the time of revision settlement on the Government occupied area of 285,409 acres according to the former survey was Rs. 4,74,347 giving an incidence of R. 1-10-6 per acre, while at the revision settlement, the assessment [This assessment was according to the proposed maximum dry crop rate of Rs. 2-10-0.] on the occupied area of 285,414 acres according to revision survey, was increased to Rs. 5,79,183 which gives an incidence of Rs, 2-0-1 per acre. The increase thus amounted to Rs. 1,04,836 being 22.1 per cent. in excess of
the present demand. The revision settlement took place in the years 1892-96 and the final announcement was made in 1903-04 and during this period there were some changes in the revenue demand due partly to the raising of the dry crop rate from Rs. 2-10 to Rs. 2-12 subsequent to the revision settlement and partly to the application of revised acreage rates to the 69 villages which were originally received from Akot taluk and to which the revised rates were not applied at the revision settlement. Therefore the demand of the taluk in the subsequent years has increased. The land-revenue demand for 1907-08 including cesses was Rs. 6,53,113 while the actual collection according to the treasury figures was Rs. 6,63,094, including arrears. The land-revenue demand of the 6 palampat villages in 1907-08 was Rs. 6,120.
For purposes of land records the taluk has been divided into three
Circle Inspectors' circles with headquarters at Khallar,
Daryapur and Anjangaon. It constitutes a single police
circle under an Inspector and contains 4 Station-houses, each
under a Sub-Inspector, at Daryapur, Anjangaon, Rahimapur
Daryapur.-Houses 980, population 4,389. The headquarters of the taluk bearing its name, is situated on the Chandrabhaga river, and is reached by a fully metalled road of eighteen miles from Murtizapur; also by a broad fair weather road from Amraoti through Kholapur. Within half a mile of it lies the large trading suburb of Wanosa with a population of 915 and close by is also the large village of Babhali with 2,707 inhabitants; a total for the three places of 7,111 persons. Daryapur though not classed at the census as a town is a centre of the cotton trade, having 5 gins and 3 presses; its cotton market is controlled by a local committee of which the Tahsildar is chairman and has an annual revenue varying from two to four thousand rupees. Its weekly bazar has a cess income of Rs. 3,600. The public buildings of Daryapur include besides the Tahsili, a Subordinate Judge's and a Munsif's Court, a police station, a sub-registry, a dispensary,
Anglo-vernacular school, Urdu and Marathi primary schools, a girls' school and a post office. There are temples to Rama and Vithoba and two masjids. A short distance out of the town on the Murtizapur road a hall has been erected in honour of the King-Emperor's accession, which contains the local library. R. B. Bhagwantrao Shankarrao Deshmukh, who is a second-class special Magistrate, has a large house containing some very handsome carving. The town derives its name from Darya Imad Shah, the third of the independent Kings of Berar (A. D. 1529-1560), who was its founder.
Dattapur Dhamangaon.-In the Chandur taluk is a town of great and increasing importance. Formerly the two villages were separate, one lying to the south and one north of the railway, but a large commercial suburb known as Hordernganj after a former Deputy Commissioner has grown up joining them together. The total population is 9,035 and the number of houses 1,951 and a bench of magistrates with third-class powers has been established. A first-class police station, a sub-registry and a combined dak and inspection bungalow may be mentioned among the public buildings, and the railway station is now being enlarged to keep pace with the increase of traffic. The cotton market which was established in 1885 is managed by a committee and has an annual income varying from two
to four thousand rupees. The Burma Oil Co., Standard Oil Co., and Asiatic Petroleum Co. have branches here and there are seven gins and four cotton presses. A weekly bazar is held on Sundays and trade in cloth, grain and other articles is also carried on. The supply of water is good, and the neighbourhood noted for its toddy, sindi trees growing in abundance. The dak line for Yeotmal starts from here, and the station is therefore the outlet for the commerce of that District. The leading inhabitants are mostly Marwaris including Seth Fatehlal Shaligram a representative of the great firm of Sriram Shaligram. The late Seth Ramchandra Rampratap established a Rama Mandir at a cost of Rs. 40,000 and endowed it with property for its upkeep. Some of the leading merchants maintain a private school in which the Sanskrit sacred books are taught.
Deogaon.-A small and insignificant village at the foot of the hills through which the so-called Wastapur short-cut from Ellichpur to Chikalda runs; between it and the fort a small stable has been established at the foot of the hill to accommodate ponies for travellers using the path. The sole claim to distinction which Deogaon possesses is that preliminaries of peace between the East India Company and the Bhonsla (or "Bouncello" as the English chronicles of the day called him) were signed here on the 19th December 1803, four days after the capture of Gawilgarh by Wellesley of LangraWasli as he is known in Berar.
Dewalwara orDeurwada.-Ellichpur taluk, bouses 262, population 1,515. A village on the Purna, about 14 miles from Ellichpur, was
110 years ago a town of much importance, containing some 5,000 houses, and a large Brahman population; and the taluk authorities used to reside there. Now it has become an insignificant village, but is worthy of notice on account of its ancient buildings. Dewalwara is, according to Hindu mythology, the place where Narsinha, after killing Hiranya Kasipu, was able, after failing everywhere else, to wash the blood-stains from his hands. There is a temple and idol of Narsinha which has been there from time immemorial, with steps to the river, and a ghat. Near this is a place now called Kar Shuddhi Tirth or the holy place of cleaning hands. There is a temple to Vitthal Rukmaya built in the time of Salabat Khan by one Mahadeo Rao Lakshman of Nagpur, at a cost of Rs. 15,000, also a masjid built some three hundred years ago.
Dhamangaon.-Ellichpur taluk, houses 410, population 1,826. A village on the shorter Ellichpur-Chikalda road, from which the ascent of the hill begins. It lies about 6 miles from Paratwada and has a weekly bazar on Wednesdays which serves the neighbouring tracts of the Melghat. Has a considerable cultivation of chillies.
Dhamantri.-A small village of 343 inhabitants situated on the banks of the river Wardha just north of Kaundinyapur. On rising ground in a small babulban to the south of
it is a very ancient temple of Mahadeo. The original structure was to all appearances Hemadpanthi, but it has been repaired at various subsequent periods in different styles. At present some Bairagis from Benares
have taken possession of it and are putting it in order; they have built
themselves a small house close by Hemad Pant, who appears in reality to have been minister to one of the Chalukyan kings, is the putative architect of almost all the temples in this part of India of which the origin is obscured by time, though the true Hemadpanthi or Chalukyan building is one of large blocks of stone carefully dressed and adjusted without apparently any cement, or at least with very little of it. The style is that of primitive builders, who distrusted the arch and laid massive stone lintels over monolithic pillars. Legend declares that Hemad Pant was a mighty wizard who was compelled by the devil to find employment for a crew of demons during a whole night. To build temples without mortar seemed an interminable kind of job, but these ghostly engineers had finished before cock-crow. Readers of the "Lay of the Last Minstrel" will recollect that Michael Scott when faced with a similar difficulty was more successful; he outwitted the foul fiend by setting his devils to make ropes of sand.
Dhanora.-Houses 70, population 242. A small village on the banks of the river Purna, in the Ellichpur taluk, has an old temple dedicated to Sundar Narayan, at which a fair is held every year in the month of January or February. The place is otherwise of no importance.
Dharni.-Houses 142, population 731. The largest village in the Melghat is situated in the Amner pargana, and forms the present terminus of what will shortly be the high road through the hills from Ellichpur to Burhanpur. It is 68 miles from the former, and 60 from the latter town. A weekly bazar is held every Friday. The population is a mixed one, the Korku element being the most numerous; the Korku and Central India Hill Mission has succeeded in gathering together a small congregation. Foreigners are represented by a few Bohra moneylenders from Burhanpur, who have settled in the place. Government buildings include a first-class police station in charge of a Sub-Inspector, a
P. W. D. inspection bungalow, a branch post office and a school. There is also a bonded warehouse for the sale of country liquor, built by Government and placed under the control of a Sub-Inspector of Excise. The soil is very fertile and with improved communications, and the advantages of the forthcoming settlement, it may well develop into a place of some importance. Its climate has a very bad reputation for malaria; but is said to have, improved somewhat of late years owing to the clearing of the land for cultivation.